Sunday, March 14, 2010

Episode 1: Curvy Legs

As most everyone knows, Trace is having his legs straightened this week. His legs are very bowed, which is caused by his achondroplasia - the fibia grows faster than the tibia, thus the legs bow. Trace's bowing has become severe, causing him pain and thrusting of the ankles when walking. The surgery is pretty much cutting sections out of the fibia and rotating to straighten. The legs will be set with pins and he will have full leg casts on for 8 weeks - with no weight bearing. Sounds like fun, huh?

Everyone has been asking what Trace knows. We have been talking with Trace about his surgery since Dr. Ain told us he had to have it done - that was in mid-November. Trace knows he will have casts and won't be able to walk. He knows that a doctor will put him to sleep then Dr. Ain will use a special knife to cut his legs. He knows that he will be staying in the hospital for a few days afterwards, and will get medicine so his legs don't hurt. He has asked questions at random times about the surgery and the casts and what he will and will not be able to do. It's amazing how much a young child understands.

We picked up his wheelchair last week, and he (and Taylor) thinks it is great fun...we'll check back on that in about a month. He's got tons of toys and stuffed animals packed to take with him (I'll weed those down tonight after he's asleep). Our wonderful church family gave us a huge tote full of wrapped presents for Trace during his hospital stay - I am still very overwhelmed by their love and generosity. We're off to Baltimore tomorrow, the surgery is on Wednesday morning. Everyone say an extra prayer for all of us. Taylor is staying home with my Dad, she needs a few extra prayers too, as she is worried about her bubby and has never been without either John or I, and definitely not without Trace for any length of time.

Enjoy Trace telling a little about his surgery - although he pretty much just turns into a goof ball!

18 comments:

  1. We'll be keeping sweet Trace in our thoughts and prayers during the next couple of days and during the time that he'll be in his casts. Sending lots of hugs to Trace, Taylor and you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You gotta love the little booger...I wish I could be there but I am sure Dad would lose his mind if he had Taylor and Eaden. Tell Trace, Aunt Dani and 'EE' love him very much and we can't wait til he gets home. Call me as soon as he is out of recovery so I know how everything went!!! Lots of Love XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big Hugs to all of you! Trace is so cute in the video, kids spirits are amazing! Sometimes I think it is what keeps us Mom's going! I will be thinking of you guys :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trace is an absolute doll in the video! Sending lots of love, thoughts, and prayers to you guys for an unremarkable surgery and a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trace is so adorable in that video! It is amazing how much they understand at a young age! You all will be in our thoughts and prayers this week! I hope Taylor has a fun time with your dad! Sending many hugs! Call if you need anything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers this week! Good luck to everyone and I hope it's a speedy recovery

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is just the cutest video. Ash would be missing Aidan bunches if Aidan had to be gone for surgery too. The Chase family is sending big hugs and prayers to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww, he is just too cute. Our thoughts will be with you guys this week, and for the next 8 weeks! Big hugs are coming from Florida!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Big hugs to all of you! Trace is such a trooper, and SO VERY ADORABLE! You are in great hands with Dr. Ain, but of course you already know that.

    Hide all the lumber before you leave....no wheelchair ramps!!!

    Candi and Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Trace! We are thinking of you buddy and sending super get-well wishes! Seamus and Grace loved watching your video. Destini, I know this is probably going to be a very tough week, but we are all praying and sending best wishes! Looking forward to seeing updates and hearing how great Trace is doing. Good luck to you all! Hugs to Taylor too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. He is too cute for words! I will be keeping him in my thoughts!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck Trace! He is just adorable. Best wishes for a great surgery!

    Jill and JD

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very sweet. We'll be thinking of you guys during surgery. Fingers crossed and lots of prayers coming your way. HANG IN THERE!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll be praying for your family Destini. For a smooth and successful surgery, quick recovery (I know the 8 weeks is set in stone but I hope it goes by as quickly as possible), safe travels, peace of mind, and for sweet Taylor.
    Jake's legs are bowed too and I think surgery is in his future as well.
    Please keep us updated on how Trace is doing.
    Hugs!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am loving him! They are going to "cut my legs!" He's so adorable. I am wishing you much love and support! We all know Trace will be a superstar and come through this a-ok. Please don't hesitate to ask us for anything. love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We are keeping you all in our prayers this week! From what I hear the first few days are pretty rough but after that it's pretty smooth! We are also getting ready for leg and arm surgery, rods in all! If you have any cast questions, I'm your gal! Trace looks like he's going to be quite the champ about this! Sending you bigtime hugs!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. HE is so adorable! I love it! I hope everything goes well for Trace and Taylor. I'm sure she will just love taking care of her little brother! Good luck on everything and we are praying for you! Though you won't need it becuase he's such a tough guy!

    ReplyDelete