Friday, January 15, 2010

Life with a Big Sister, Part 1

Inspired by my friend Jacque, I have decided to implement a twist on her "Life with My Sister" series. We'll see how this works out.

In our house, be have both sides of the boy-girl spectrum, girly-girly Taylor and tractor-lovin' Trace. Taylor's world is full of rainbows and butterflies, with Princesses (and Pop Stars) in sparkly dresses, and the occasional unicorn running by. Trace lives for tractors, dirt, trucks, and trains. Taylor's room is purple and pink with dollhouses, jewelry, and snowglobes. Trace's is John Deere Green and John Deere Yellow, with tractors and trains and a plush deerskin rug (that Trace pretends to kill with his "shoot gun"). Occasionally, these worlds collide. As Taylor is "The Big Sister", this normally means that Trace joins in on a tea party, or hauls Taylor's Barbies around in his vehicles (as "Taylor's ployee" - Taylor's employee).

We had a collision of worlds tonight, which went to a new level. The kids were playing, John and I were watching SuperNanny - who, by the way, has super great common sense principles to control children, which, to date, we have been unable to even partially master. They come in the living room and I look up to see this:



Yep, Taylor has dressed Trace up like a ballerina and has him dancing (in a most liberal use of the word) around the living room, complete with a purple tutu, necklace, bracelet, ring, and lipstick. Poor kid doesn't have a chance. And, yes, I WILL be digging this blog post out on his first date.

Enjoy the prima ballerinas in action!

13 comments:

  1. Oh Destini...I have some pictures to share with you about this exact phenomenon! Even though Grace is the younger sister, she still manages to coerce Seamus into being "Prince Charming," which of course due to lack of a prince costume means that he is decked out in a princess gown, complete with jewelry, high heels and a tiara! Now Seamus and Trace will REALLY have something to bond over! I love the video, it's a classic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. Nikki thought Trace was a great dancer and she told me that he looked "beautiful" in his dress! :o) Definitely going to need to break this out when he starts dating! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL on the "Taylor's ployee" and shooting the deer skin rug! The video is way too cute too! Awesome how they can still play together even though they are brother/sister! I have 3 girls and they can't manage! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're in the same boat. It was a few months ago when Ash made Aidan play Pretty Pretty Princess with her. Love the precious video. Trace will love you for it in about 10 years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love seeing when boys are dressed up by their sisters in tutu's and such! Brings a smile to my face! I'll have to show Caty in the morning and get her comments. I know she'll get a kick out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh!!!! I just love this post!! I have pictures of dressing my little brother up like a girl when we were younger and they always make me laugh! Good blackmail mama!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! We too try to stick to the girly girl and the typical boy but they do overlap. Audrey loves to work with dad in the garage on the cars and Nate can't help but to play with his sisters Barbie dolls, Littlest Pet Shop and make-up. He will gravitate to anything pink. I assure myself and everyone else that it's because it's a shade of red. I also see that Trace is found of walking in circles. Nate does the same thing. He enjoys making himself dizzy! Now that's a boy thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it!! Taylor and Trace are too cute, and it is so great when their very opposite worlds collide! That is definitely a video to pull out on a first date!
    My cousin and I used to dress up our little brothers with make up and jewelry and make them sing and dance in our shows that we put on for other family members - wish I had some pictures or a video of it - cracks me up thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. In Taylor's defense, I did this to my brother Charlie when he was a kid. I used to put those plastic barrettes in his hair. Thank goodness my mom gave me Katie! LOL! Although Charlie grew up to be manly so don't worry about Trace. He's being a good natured sport about it. Preston was laughing asking why trace was wearing a skirt. I died laughing when you said you still have not mastered Super Nanny's tricks-neither have I. I think she drugs the kids to make it look like she did a great job. LOL! Very cute pictures of the kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH that was too cute! Those two are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so creative of Taylor!!!! Trace looks so cute in the purple ballerina outfit! I love the video - almost a "Swan lake"!!!! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this post! Too cute ... what is even cuter is Trace looks so happy that his sister dressed him up! Fun times!

    ReplyDelete