Monday, April 26, 2010

FOUR!!!!!!!

Photobucket

Trace turned 4 on April 22! He was super excited and asked for his presents the minute he woke up. Did we give them to him you ask? You know we did. We even took Taylor to school 30 minutes late so he could open them. You only turn 4 once.

Photobucket

Photobucket

As his birthday was a Thursday, it was business as usual, but we had a family cookout to celebrate on Saturday. I somehow got the honor of not only baking Trace's cake, but also doing all the cooking out, so I don't have many pictures of the event, just of the cake.

Thanks to Taylor selling magazine subscriptions for Girl Scouts, I get the Disney Family Fun magazine. It is full of cute ideas, and a couple months ago they had several really fun birthday cakes. Trace saw this dirtbike cake and HAD to have one. I got a crazy idea that I'd make him one - remember, you only turn 4 once! (Those that really know me are all chuckling at this...I am what you would call domestically challenged.)

The model cake used chocolate icing (like 3 tubs) and I'm a buttercream fan, so I decided to go as far as to make my own icing. I also refuse to put pretzels on a cake, or cocopuffs, or glazed chocolate donut holes. That's right, it's my first cake and I'm already deviating from the recipe. Picture me standing in my kitchen with 2 boxes of yellow cake mix, eggs, oil, vanilla extract, almond extract, 2 lbs of powdered sugar, crisco, and butter and staring the oven and mixer thinking "I have three freaking engineering degrees, surely I can bake a cake".

I will admit that there were times I was scared, and at one point John and our ferrier, Beamer, came in the kitchen and relentlessly made fun of me and my half put together creation (Beamer wouldn't even try a bite of the leftover wedge of cake, he was totally skeptical). But, I didn't give up, and I think this cake turned out pretty good.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The festivities aren't over quite yet...We're going wild to celebrate Trace turing 4 and Eaden turing 3! We'll see you all after the zoo party this coming weekend!

13 comments:

  1. Domestically challenged, yeah right! What a great cake! Happy 4th Birthday Trace. Trace and Aidan will be having their birthday parties on the same weekend! I'm sure he will have a fabulous time. He looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY 4TH BIRTHDAY TRACE!!!! Look at all those great gifts!!
    Destini great job w/ the cake!! I vowed I would always try to make my kids their b-day cakes no matter how bad they turn out! This weekend I get to make Elmo & Cookie Monster for Collin's 2cd b-day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 4th Birthday Trace! The cake turned out great!! Can't wait to see pictures from the birthday party this coming weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tell Trace we said happy birthday! I think your cake turned out nice...give yourself some credit. It's hard to do the cakes yourself..we have done it, and it always turns out much harder than orginally planned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy 4th Birthday Trace! What a cute cake, you did good Mom! And it looks like Trace scored with all those gifts :0) So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Ms Domestically Challenged...you wanna come make Nikki's cake? :o) Love all the pics, and that cake turned out GREAT! Nikki would have so much fun playing with Trace, Buzz, Flicker ... she's always off 'esplorin' with hers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a handsome 4 year old boy! Happy Birthday Trace! That cake came out great! I feel the same way as you - I don't want cocoa puffs or pretzels or any other stuff on a cake. Seamus has a picture of that same cake hanging on our fridge, he thinks he wants that one for his birthday. Sounds like a great day was had by all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy happy birthday Trace!!! Fantastic Four! Looks like he got a bunch of really cool goodies and his cake was awesome! I think you did a great job on it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Destini, What awesome pictures (as always). Trace, happy 4th birthday. Good times! What a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome cake! And Happy Birthday Trace!! Such a handsome boy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sitting at work dying laughing over this post. I too am domestically challenged to the point I start getting teary in Ben Franklin crafts after five minutes but I have really gotten into baking the past few years. The cake you made turne dout AWESOME! So go you.
    Happy Birthday Trace! The monster jam set is a big hit at our house too! He looks so darn happy to be having a birthday. Trace rules. And only a few more weeks until the casts come off!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy 4th Birthday Trace!! Such a handsome boy! Yay for presents as soon as you wake up! Simon said he wants to come play!
    That is an awesome birthday cake! You should be proud! Can't wait to see pictures from his party this weekend too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like your cake better than the link...so there you have it, you're amazing! My boys are totally sitting here drooling over buzz lightyear. HA! And those muscles that Trace is sporting...super cute!

    ReplyDelete